Monday, August 24, 2009

World of MU*

It is hard for to keep track of all of the different classifications of online text games. Even veteran gamers still debate how to classify certain games or what they really mean. Below I've detailed the major classifications of online text games.

There are also some behind the scenes significant code differences between the different MU* platforms. As you poor MU* programmers are in the minority in comparison to the actual players and my extent of MUD programming is limited I'm not going to even address the programming differences.

MUDs = Multi-User Dungeon. These games are a balance of both social interaction, roleplaying, and hack n' slash gaming.

MUSH = Multi-User Shared Hack, Habitat, Holodeck, or Hallucination (Take your pick!) These games focus mostly on roleplaying and social interaction. It is rare to find much combat on these games and if there is combat system it is often a vehicle for roleplay combat.

MUCK = Multi-User Created Kingdom. The focus of MUCKs is also on roleplay and social interaction. Players can create and modify all internal objects of the existing game environment.

MOO = MUD, Object Oriented. The focus is on social interaction and roleplaying. Users can perform object oriented programming to expand and change the server.

I have to admit I haven't spent much time on MUSHes, MUCKs, or MOOs. Even after doing research on them the differences between them all is about as clear as MUD. (I couldn't resist.) What I do know that on any text game I have tried that isn't a MUD there has been a decided lack of dragon and monster slaying. I don't know about you, but I don't feel as if my day is complete unless I've vanquished a foe or three. As much as I adore adopting the role of one of my characters, deep down I'm a gamer at heart.

Happy Slaying!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment